SO, today we will have additional post about backups.
Main goal: backup ESXi infrastructure of servers.
What we need:
- Left and Right hands.
- Google, this article.
- Open SSH on your ESXi to access to it
- Open putty
- Login to server with it, using SSH
- We need to do backup of server
- vim-cmd hostsvc/firmware/backup_config
- it will same your backup to http://*/downloads/configBundle-localhost.doamin.tgz with simple it’s located in /scratch/downloads
- Now we need to move file to /tmp with renaming it to configBundle.tgz
- mv /scratch/downloads/configBundle-localhost.doamin.tgz /tmp/configBundle.tgz
How to restore:
First of all you need to remember (if your server failed and you rebuild totally new infrastructure ) you must have same version of EXSi installed to rebuild. If you have situation that someone delete server from Inventory, just pause all servers and run maintenance mode:
- Switch to maintenance mode vim-cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_enter
- Restore vim-cmd hostsvc/firmware/restore_config /tmp/configBundle.tgz
After that server will go to reboot, don’t panic, everything is fine. Depends on number of hosts it will take some time.